Tuesday, August 24, 2010

i'll fly away

t-minus five days.

I've been back in beautiful Grand Rapids for a short two months, and I'm already on my way out again. I definitely need to start this exceptionally over-due post raving about Grand Rapids. So, here I go. I love Grand Rapids. I love the city, I love the suburbs, I love the structures, I love the climate, I love the landscape, I even love the humidity and two solid months of days over eighty degrees, but above all else, I just love the community here. Right now, I'm thinking about how much I love everything, it even makes me not want to complain about the unending construction that is so familiar in a Michigan summer. Do I mind the detours? No. Do I mind 196 being redone with concrete? Of course not. Do I mind the expansion to three lanes? 100% not at all. So, sure I will even be happy about the construction while I am home, but let's get back to the community.
I adore you, sweet Grand Rapidians. Coming back to Crossroads in itself is a major treat, this "church" is family, and it really, really is. Walking in that first Saturday night service that I was back, I could sense such a noticeable difference in the atmosphere, and it can only be accredited to God working through NEAR, the community's seven months of unbroken prayer. I couldn't specifically put my finger on the change, but it was beyond recognizable. As I've been home, I've had the opportunity to connect with people in the community that I probably wouldn't have had a chance to meet with otherwise. I've spent time over cups of coffee talking about prayer, Grand Rapids, intimacy, legalism, and what God wants to do with all of it; beautiful. I've also been beyond blessed to meet with several different house churches, what an amazing opportunity for a missionary. To anyone being sent out: I strongly recommend prioritizing these kind of meetings. The chance to connect with people in your community, who you can build genuine relationship with is crucial, and I'm really starting to understand and appreciate it more and more.
In five days, I will be Kona bound, with a two day detour in the great city of Seattle. I am a bit overwhelmed right now, trying to let this reality sink in. Talking with a friend last night, I've realized that I have not been looking at going away through the lens of "I am leaving Grand Rapids for over a year". I am looking at it through the lens of "I am going to be with my Kona family for over a year". As true as this is, it's similar to closing one eye, and looking through the other, then switching, things are clear, and visible, and good, but not exactly right; unless you are using both eyes to do the looking, things are a bit skewed. With understanding of this, I'm realizing that I have a lot more to do here before I leave, the least of which is packing...
So let me end this post with a few random thoughts:
1. People of Crossroads, you continue to amaze me and bless me beyond what my imagination can fathom. I genuinely love you, and consider it a great privilege and blessing to be praying for you.
2. I wish I would've done a better job managing my time here. I am very sorry if I didn't get the chance to see you while I was home, and I won't be around for quite a while. I have so many people I'd like to say goodbyes to, but it's not very realistic at this point, so let me say this: If I do not say goodbye to you before I leave, it in no way reflects how much I value your presence in my life.
3. If you'd like any information on who I am, what I do, where I will be, prayer requests, etc. I do send out a monthly support letter, hard copy and PDF, so shoot me your address or email, and I'll get you on that mailing list.
4. You should probably know, that you are beautiful, and severely loved.

1 comment: